Go Green Teachings & Practical Tips
On this page you will find ‘Go Green’ tips you can apply everyday and tips to make SSIO events more sustainable. Our starting point is to look at values.
What are the teachings we can practice to develop a sustainable life?
The solution to climate crisis starts with each of us!
We need to think in terms of values – what are the values we can use to develop a sustainable life? We will need several earths to maintain this current standard of living, so something has to change.
As spiritual students we need to practice certain disciplines. Sathya Sai Baba gave us two solutions to the climate crisis:
- 5 Human Values – Truth, Right Conduct, Peace, Love, and Non-violence
- Ceiling on Desires – we should place a ceiling on our desires
If we gradually practice these two disciplines in our daily life, we will live life with ‘Love all, Serve all’ driving our thoughts and actions. We will be more mindful of our thoughts and actions and more aware of our impact on the environment. We will learn to treat natural resources, i.e. air, water, land etc., with respect and reverence and use them sparingly.
The root cause of the environmental damage is that we’re seeing in the world today as a place to satisfy our uncontrolled desires. We want more and more, and so we consume more and more. In truth, our happiness and spiritual growth comes when we are freed from the compulsive need to consume excessively and we only consume in moderation.
The ceiling on desires programme is a step or method to stop wasting food, money, time energy and exploitation of Nature, and to use the saving to serve others.
Practical tips to start you off:
- Food – we can significantly reduce our carbon footprint with the food we eat every day. Can you eat more locally sourced food? Are you able to eat a meat free diet and, where possible, dairy free?
- Waste - we can all choose to buy less, have less, consume less and throwaway less.
Two ways we can do this is through composting so each of our food scraps doesn’t end up in landfill but goes back into the earth.
- Plastics – these take hundreds of years to decompose, so why not carry around a cloth bag instead of a plastic one and carry a re-usable bottle and take-away container. View more plastic reduction tips here.
- Energy – each of us can turn off our devices more to save power. When we use power, we can use renewable energy sources like solar. View 108 tips to save energy here.
- Water – keep showers under 5 minutes, fill glasses of water halfway to ensure none is wasted, run washing only when the washing machine is full and on eco mode. More tips here
- Transport – we can look at swapping our car rides with public transport, cycling or walking where possible, and limiting our air travel.
- 5Rs – Refuse, Reduce, Re-use, Repurpose & Recycle
Watch the video: Go green tips for an environmentally friendly life
Hosting a Sai event?
Use these shareable checklists to make your events more environmentally sustainable.
- Plastic Use – Identify current plastic use, and alternatives that ca be used instead
- Sustainable Food – identify ways to only buy and consume what you need, and to compost what is left over
- Meetings & Events – covers what to factor in before, during and after the meeting
Reach out the SSIO Environmental Sustainability Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, ideas or comments.